Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Alien Wonders of Science Fiction

A is for Alien. In Science Fiction aliens generally come from outer space. Over the ages of evolution, sci-fi writers embraced the fact that the universe is thriving with alien species originating from diverse worlds often with fascinating environments. But what is an alien? Well an alien to my mind is simply a non human like shape shifters with a bug eye capable of transforming itself into something else. Shaperchangers like Odo exist in Star Trek who is able transform  from a bucket of goo into a solid biped.






The Salt Vampire played by Sharon Gimpel in Star Trek is another spooky classic. Just don't let her corner you with a kiss or she'll suck all the salt out of your body. Wow just look at those fangs! On the other hand, The friendly alien sage, Yoda resembles a creature from folklore tales who later starred in Star Wars as a little hobgoblin famous for speaking backwards, lol. ET on the other hand shares a hopeful first encounter with humans, we've probably all dreamed about at some stage.

 Last but not least are the killing alien machines which frighten the living wits out of us. Robotic versions like Arnold Schwarzenegger's Terminator and Aliens utterly heartless classic monster have distinct personalities unlike ED209 in robocop3. The Alien movies have great characters, flawed and subhuman varieties which represent the best or worst in each of us. Ash, Bishop, Call, Data are I guess the ultimate humanoid aliens, androids really.

Awww shucks I guess theres an alien in all of us.

11 comments:

Grammy said...

Hi, I see you have the robot problem, too... Ah, anyway, back to the question of your day...what is an alien? An alien is anything foreign to home soil. That pretty much wraps it up in my dictionary (mental dictionary, that is). I was around when the original Star Trek was on the first time. I am a Trekkie from way back. :) Interesting blog. Best regards to you, my friend! Ruby at "Blabbin' Grammy".

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We're all alien to someone.
Partial to Aliens, especially from the movie of the same name.

Maurice Mitchell said...

The Salt Vampire is still one of my all-time favorite aliens from Star Trek.

Bob R Milne said...

Odo was very cool, but you can't talk about the Founders without mentioning the Jen Hadar. :)

Birgit said...

Aliens are needed in so many films and TV shows. I love Star Trek with all the aliens that just have funny nose shapes. The salt sucker was freaky. So are the Pod people from The Body Snatchers

Nigel G. Mitchell said...

Aliens are awesome

A Tarkabarka Hölgy said...

Salt Vampire? I need to watch more Star Trek. Like, a whole lot more.
Happy A to z! :)

@TarkabarkaHolgy from
Multicolored Diary - Epics from A to Z
MopDog - 26 Ways to Die in Medieval Hungary

M Pax said...

The salt vampire was a great alien. Aliens can be so much fun if done right. I really enjoyed the Goa'ulds of Stargate.

Jeremy Hawkins said...

Great collage of aliens, I think the best aliens are the friendly ones or the ones I have met.

Great start, all the luck on all the letters!

Welcome in the "A"... as a host I am stopping by to say thank you!
Jeremy [Retro]
AtoZ Challenge Co-Host [2015]

There's no earthly way of knowing.
Which direction we are going!

HOLLYWOOD NUTS!
Come Visit: You know you want to know if me or Hollywood... is Nuts?

Susan Kane said...

I, too, found the Salt Alien to be the one I remember best. My grown children know what I mean when I use the Salt Alien face grip. But then, my kids have grown up with Star Trek.

Jeffrey Scott said...

In a way, the salt vampire reminded me of Camille from Red Dwarf. Every crew member saw her as the ideal woman, even though she was really just a blob. I guess it takes all kinds.

Star Trek ©, Star Trek-The Next Generation ©, Star Trek-Deep Space Nine ©, Star Trek-Voyager ©, Star Trek-Enterprise ©, and all associated marks and characters are registered trademarks of Paramount Pictures and or CBS Studios Inc registered in the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Star Trek Sci Fi Blog by Spacerguy © 2006 - 2017 May not be reproduced without permission. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the property of their respective holders. Privacy Policy