Friday, April 03, 2015

Cyborg Arnie

C is for Cyborg but what are they? A cyborg is a living being or partly humanoid robot with cybernetic devices implanted throughout their bodies. The Borg Picard "Locutus" and Seven of Nine aka "Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero One" became walking talking pieces of hardware in Star Trek.

Going back, early science fiction had few memorable leading cyborgs, androids or robots if any. Instead we had creatures like Frankenstein and Herman from the Munsters with mad scientists switching their brains out.



Cyborgs, Androids and robots have unique qualities. My personal favorite is the classic cyborg "T-800" Cyberdyne Model played by Arnold Schwarzenegger in Terminator. In simple Sci-Fi terms these guys are killer cyborgs disguised with a skin of living flesh covering an indestructible exo-skeleton. Whats terrifyingly insane about the "T800" Cyborg is its ability to look human and pass as one of us!

The upcoming Terminator 5 directed by Alan Taylor hits movie theatres in July. Arnie is returning as an aging Soldier of War starring in "Terminator: Genisys," He's Back!


Who do you think would win in a fight, Arnie's Genisys Terminator "T800" or Star Trek's Android Commander Data?

Which A.I. lifeforms strikes the most terror into your human heart?  Will you be back to see Arnie's Terminator 5?


13 comments:

Tony Laplume said...

It took forever to get a good Spock fight (Star Trek Into Darkness). I think depicting Data in a good fight would rank him among the best. He's got a brilliant mind, after all, like Neo from The Matrix, able to download or recall anything he needs. Just imagine...

Spacerguy said...

Carnegie Mellon has added four more robots to its Robot Hall of Fame with believe it or not Commander Data in the lead spot.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The T800 would win because he would shoot first.

Jeremy Hawkins said...

T800 hands down, Data has too much thought... where the T800 has only kill... kill... kill.

scary AI, goes to the little boy in the film A.I., come on that kid was creepy.

Welcome in the "C"... as a host I am stopping by to say thank you!
Jeremy [Retro]
AtoZ Challenge Co-Host [2015]

There's no earthly way of knowing.
Which direction we are going!

HOLLYWOOD NUTS!
Come Visit: You know you want to know if me or Hollywood... is Nuts?

The Cynical Sailor said...

Stumbled across your blog thru the A to Z challenge. I'm a bit of a Star Trek geek, so looking forward to your posts! Cheers - Ellen

Spacerguy said...

Thanks, Tony, Alex, Jeremy and Ellen for stopping by. I think I've scared away trekkies today, writing about these killer cyborgs. I don't normally write about brains and living flesh. So much for logic.

Mary Montague Sikes said...

I'm a big fan of Star Trek, space travel, etc. but not so much a fan of Arnold. Interesting about the Cyborgs. Thanks for explaining!

Birgit said...

I vote for Data-One can have brawn but intelligence wins out. I am not sure how this next terminator film will be. One thing is for sure, The Borg would freak me out

Spacerguy said...

I see whats happened now. Thanks for stopping by and solving this mystery. I appreciate this Mary. Cyborgs or Borg are a force to be reckoned with in Star Trek, so I figured I was in safe territory.

Spacerguy said...

Lt Cmdr Data is the cool choice. All he has to do is turn off his emotion chip while us mere mortals battle an onslaught of emotions and cry out at the first sight of the red stuff...

Susan Kane said...

Data is of course the epitome. But I would like to add "9" to the list, simply because she was a woman who held such power so easily. And her wardrobe fit so nicely.

Spacerguy said...

Our cybernetic pals have become like family intrinsically rooted in modern society.

Jeffrey Scott said...

Good question. I'd like to say Data would win, but one press of his off switch and he's out of commission.

PS, your spam blocker asks if I'm a robot. What if I'm a cyborg? Can I still leave a comment?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Star Trek ©, Star Trek-The Next Generation ©, Star Trek-Deep Space Nine ©, Star Trek-Voyager ©, Star Trek-Enterprise ©, and all associated marks and characters are registered trademarks of Paramount Pictures and or CBS Studios Inc registered in the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Star Trek Sci Fi Blog by Spacerguy © 2006 May not be reproduced without permission. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the property of their respective holders. Privacy Policy