Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Futuristic Histories

F is for Future histories but what are they? Picture a framework of future events within which a writer constructs stories, there you have it!

You've heard this one before. Future histories in Science Fiction provide a logical futuristic background for sci-fi authors to create stories. From what I understand any event in times to come is a Future History. Its like joining up a series of dots. So lets have some fun. Lets say you've got a meaningful time frame filled with these special moments. What now?  I guess having significant moments in history (within which unique stories can be set) helps us appreciate why characters/events unfold in a certain way.. Such "timeframes" or constructs are usually presented chronologically in the form of a chart.

 Poul Anderson's Psychotechnic League and Flandry series books make up various sequences in time. When read together the dots reveal a fascinating Futuristic History without overshadowing the characters. Contemporary futuristic publications include Jane Hu who has compiled a future timeline drawing heavily on recent publications of Kim Stanley Robinson's 2312. His Red Mars, Green Mars and Blue Mars are cool reads.

Robert A. Heinleins was the first Future History to appear in SF written mostly during the 1940's. His first work was published in Astounding science Fiction in 1941. Since then there have been others exploring conficts between powerful alien beings, the Xeelee and the photino birds, from the birth of the universe to the very end of it.

 Which is your favorite science fiction book?  Does it have a Futuristic History? Would you go hiking on Mars?


7 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I think I lean more toward fantasy/speculative fiction than science fiction these days. I devoured Heinlein in my younger days though.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'll look for the Red Mars, etc. series.
Not sure I have a favorite science fiction book. I do favor authors like Heinlein, Bradbury, and Zahn though.

Jeremy Hawkins said...

I am not sure I have a favorite book, I enjoy reference books of sci-fi... does that count?

Maurice Mitchell said...

A great question and Robert A. Heinlein is one of my favorites. I still have a soft spot for "The Time Machine" though mainly because of the movie.

Birgit said...

I am not too much into sci fi books but I have read some and they are great. I love Star Trek-all of them...does that count?

Tony Laplume said...

To date I haven't had an opportunity to read this kind of science fiction. This will be corrected at some point.

Jeffrey Scott said...

Considering I read the entire "trilogy", I'd say Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Love the sarcastic wit of Douglas Adams.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Star Trek ©, Star Trek-The Next Generation ©, Star Trek-Deep Space Nine ©, Star Trek-Voyager ©, Star Trek-Enterprise ©, and all associated marks and characters are registered trademarks of Paramount Pictures and or CBS Studios Inc registered in the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Star Trek Sci Fi Blog by Spacerguy © 2006 May not be reproduced without permission. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the property of their respective holders. Privacy Policy