Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Star Trek TAS - The Jihad

Stardate 5683.1
Writer: Stephen Kandel
Airdate: 12th Jan, 1974
Season 1 Episode 14



In Star Trek's (TAS) Season One finale, "The Jihad" is an epic episode unleashing the galaxies fearless on the track of the Soul of Skorr.

Its fun watching these alien warrior races, summoned by the powerful feline Vedala trying to piece together the clues in this stormy, Sherlockian, Star Trek treasure hunt.

Kirk and Spock, a tough reptilian, a multi armed lockpicker, birdman Tchar and a humanoid hunter join forces to thwart a holy war -a jihad- from erupting throughout the galaxy. Our alien heroes root through a "Mad Planet" grappling to retrieve Alar's "peaceful brain" pattern (8). Meanwhile a wolf in sheeps clothing walks amongst them.


Laras eyes freeze on Tchar. In the name of the Seven Gods, why? yells the athletic hunter in her straightforward manner.

I am Tchar, hereditary prince of the Skorr, leader of battles. I will lead my people into glory, to avenge our history.

SPOCK: Most of them will be killed. The warrior races of the Federation will rise up to battle the Skorr.

TCHAR: Yes. A noble death to win a great dream. We will live no longer like worms crawling in the dirt. We will conquer. You will die. But you have my respect. You fought well. You die in grace.



What did Tchar see in the Soul of Skorr? He was quite mad, wasn't he?  Do you believe in the power of religious sculpture? A little bird told me these guys needed a swig of Red Bull, poor devils!

Drink Long and be Joyous, Super Bloggies and Trekkers.


 

11 comments:

The Armchair Squid said...

I liked this one. I liked their little dune buggy. Wheels are unusual for Trek - nonexistent in Star Wars.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I wonder if the title of this episode would fly today?

Karen Lange said...

Yes, it would be interesting to see what a little Red Bull might do to an episode. :) Thanks so much for stopping by my blog for Alex's post. It's good to meet you. Have a great rest of the week!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

This is one of the episodes I don't remember. Saturday morning cartoons were so much better back in the day compared to today's.

Susan Says

Spacerguy said...

I love this episode because it shows us lots of neat technological innovations from Chemical Guns to Fortress phaser banks, gravity neutraliser, Tchars belt device and a 3D holographic starmap!

Maurice Mitchell said...

This episode has a very different feel from the others but it works as a Sherlockian, Star Trek treasure hunt. The ending was surprising but Kirk figures it out. Fire all phasers and be joyous Trekkies.

Jeffrey Scott said...

I've always loved that crazy fight music of the original Star Trek series. I think I just remember this episode. Thanks for sharing these again, one day I will have to get around to re-watching the entire animated series from beginning to end.
PS - I nominated you as a creative blogger. Hope you don't mind.
I posted more details in my most recent blog post.
Blog long and prosper.

Elephant's Child said...

Loved the seamless way you inserted the words from the prompts. Clever, clever, clever.

Susan Kane said...

Clever, indeed.

Linda said...

Very clever! And I want to say that you have a beautiful blog, I love the colours and background you are using. :)

Birgit said...

This sounds like a good episode and one I don't remember at all

Star Trek ©, Star Trek-The Next Generation ©, Star Trek-Deep Space Nine ©, Star Trek-Voyager ©, Star Trek-Enterprise ©, and all associated marks and characters are registered trademarks of Paramount Pictures and or CBS Studios Inc registered in the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Star Trek Sci Fi Blog by Spacerguy © 2006 - 2017 May not be reproduced without permission. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the property of their respective holders. Privacy Policy