Friday, November 26, 2010

AMT Model Enterprise NCC 1701-A

Here she is the USS Enterprise NCC 1701-A. As you can see for yourselves, she took one heck of a battering from the Klingons. It was touch and go there for a while with the warp nacelle pylons nearly losing their structural integrity, believe me. I know what it means when Captain Kirk yells "Red Alert!!! All hands man your Battle stations."

This detailed model enterprise 1701-A came equipped with sound effects and 12 light emitting diodes which required a steady hand to be sure.

The secondary hull which you see here, houses the bulk of the fibre optic cabling but despite there being a whole ton of wiring over flowing the plumbing of the ship, you may recall what Montgomery Scott said in Star Treks TOS episode of Naked Time.

"I cannot change the laws of physics! I've got to have thirty minutes."

and sure enough Worf's words of anguish...

"I am not a Merry man."

sprung to mind..... Yes, that was definitely me, so therefore, I applied Spock's vulcan logic.....

"Quite simply, I examined the problem from all angles, and it was plainly hopeless. Logic informed me that under the circumstances, the only logical action would have to be one of desperation. Logical decision, logically arrived at."

I marked out each wire clearly identifying its final destination. It wasn't easy looking into the beating heart of Scotty's poor bairns and trying to figure out how to spark life into the USS Enterprise or call it quits. It has to be stated, you need stick-ability to complete a WIP like this. Open starship surgery is never easy but my Dad, may his soul rest in peace, suggested using fiber glass for reinforcing the structural integrity of the ship which saved the entire operation!

 I used Dad's fiber glass idea to bond the warp pylons to the secondary hull. The trouble is fiberglass dries very fast, so I knew this was going to be a very precise operation. Commander Riker knew it too, when he was ordered to reconnect the USS Enterprise -D's Saucer module to the Stardrive section.

"Give the word Admiral!"

By Borgus Frat it worked! Ten years later this USS AMT Model Enterprise is still standing tall with a working power source linked to LED's, phaser fire and photon torpedoes sound effects still operating within normal parameters. This model ship is a tribute to Captain Kirk's heroic crew of the USS Enterprise 1701-A and my ol' man.



Live Long and Prosper.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful blog. I love it.

SpacerGuy said...

Thankyou for your kind words friend.

Skullptura said...

I have begun construction of my 1/350 scale enterprise 1701-A Your model looks amazing. Are you going to build one with the polar lights as I am trying to do so? Ill post a few pictures whenever i have enough parts together that are photo worthy lol

SpacerGuy said...

Its a trippy experience building a plastic AMT model kit USS Enterprise NCC 1701, Skullptura. When you get the nacelles perfectly aligned and snap on the lights, she'll smile at you in the darkness.

If I get any requests to post the original schematics, I'll make it so otherwise goodluck.

Jeffrey Scott said...

Awesome Enterprise. Nice job!

SpacerGuy said...

Thanks, Jeff. I still have the original schematics after all these years, which is a sweet reminder of all the fun and heartache.

jorgelsal said...

Hello SpacerGuy, do you have more pictures of this awesome model? This is true craftmanship.

SpacerGuy said...

Thanks Jorgelsal I do indeed. I made this AMT USS Enterprise NCC 1701-A gosh it must be over 20 years now - stay clued. I'll write a new post soon

Featured Post

CAPTAIN PICARD TV SERIES

So analysis  has begun with Star Trek Picard's trailer... after a 17 year TNG hiatus some of trek's icons have returned. Here we ca...