Sunday, April 01, 2012

B is for Boothby

B is for Boothby but who is he? Boothby is Star Trek's grumpy Groundskeeper at Starfleet Academy played by Ray Walston. In 1963-66 Walston also starred in 107 episodes of My Favorite Martian as the sweet talking alien from Mars who lands on planet Earth.

Its neat seeing Uncle Martin in Star Trek TNG playing Boothby. Hes far more than just a groundskeeper offering simple advice. His special wisdom has mentored several Starfleet captains including Captain Jean Luc Picard, Captain Janeway and her sidekick Chakotay. Apparently, Picard seeks out Boothby's wise words of wisdom once again while investigating Starfleet's Nova Squadron cadets. Sadly all is not what it seems when Cadet Albert's flying tragedy is reported as an accident in TNG's 'First Duty.'

Only Boothby's intimate knowledge of Nova Squadron saves the day giving Picard the edge he needs. A real mystery surrounds Joshua Albert's training accident over Titan. Why are Starfleet's elite cadets acting so mysterious and elusive? False testimony about flight plans is definitely hiding something but what is it?

Who has the moral fiber to admit what really happened that day?


11 comments:

Krista McLaughlin said...

I've yet to watch all of TNG, but I did see an episode with Boothby and I've seen the Voyager episode with him. He's an awesome character. :)

SpacerGuy said...

Boothby treated his star cadets much like his plants, he nurtured them and secretly enjoyed watching them grow.

beccabooklover said...

Great theme for the challenge. I don't know much about Star Trek myself but come from a star trek obsessed family. They have quiz's, play star trek chess and my mother even has a card board cut out of Spock up in her room...so I think I need to start learning some stuff.

My theme is The Lord of the Rings if you'd like to check it out :)

Unknown said...

My Favourite Martian (the remake with Christopher Lloyd and Jeff Daniels) was the first movie I bought on DVD. I watched it to death because I had to save for another DVD and it took weeks. Ahh, memories.


Jamie Gibbs
Fellow A-Z Buddy
Mithril Wisdom

Anonymous said...

I remember My Favorite Martian (reruns of course). I liked that show when I was a kid!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I watched that episode just a few months ago!

Pa Ul said...

I love Startrek, I always watch the Nemesis on my laptop which I downloaded. Nice B hope you check out my B to GAC a-z

Kela McClelland said...

Nice B post, looking forward to reading more of your posts

Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

Tony Laplume said...

Boothday deserved his own series.

Maurice Mitchell said...

Boothby was a great character. I never made the MFM connection before. Nice. Moore originally wanted to make him The Traveler, but I think it would have taken away from his charm.
- Maurice Mitchell
The Geek Twins
Film Sketchr
@thegeektwins
@mauricem1972

Home School Dad said...

I mentioned this blog and specificall this post in my F post of Blogging A to Z

Featured Post

CAPTAIN PICARD TV SERIES

So analysis  has begun with Star Trek Picard's trailer... after a 17 year TNG hiatus some of trek's icons have returned. Here we ca...