Thursday, April 05, 2012

Edith Keeler

E is for Edith but who is she? Edith Keeler is played by Joan Collins caught at the center of a temporal accident in Star Trek's City on the Edge of Forever.

Her 21st Street Mission helps scores of unemployed people who have reached the end of their rope. 1930's planet earth is a gloomy, primitive culture rocked by hunger, suffering and homelessness. Fighting oppression with hope and encouragement, Edith preaches from her mission's soup kitchen feeding lost unhappy souls wandering in from the streets, inspiring them to believe in a bright future.

Keelers optimism insists life is worth living but its a tough job converting hungry stomachs dying for some food. 'I don't pretend to tell you how to find happiness and love when each day is a struggle to survive.'

The Guardian of Forever identifies itself to Kirk and Spock summarizing their predicament.

"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew is gone."

'Little ms Goodie two-shoes' soon realizes Kirk and Spock are not what they seem. The Mission's angel of mercy is curious about Kirk and Spock who hides his ears under a beanie hood. Trust is the cornerstone of all friendships however Edith soon falls for quiet Kirk and a romance follows.

We know from Spock's chat with Captain Kirk that if Edith lives, Earths history will be irrevocably contaminated tipping the balance of power into evil Nazis hands. Imagine the Third Reich winning World War II erasing the United Federation of Planets from cosmic history! How is this possible? Spock jumpstarts his tricorder and discovers shocking timeline displacements.

1) Keelers pacifist peace movement convinces Franklin D. Roosevelt to delay the United States entry into World War II with disasterous consequences.
2) Has Dr McCoy's meddling damaged time beyond repair?
3) What if Edith Keeler must die?

What would you do?

12 comments:

Sharkbytes said...

Ha! I don't think I've seen this one. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month.

Home School Dad said...

I thought for sure E would be for Ensign Ro but I am glad to be wrong. Nice post.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I remember that episode. Because she follows Kirk across the street, she's killed by a car, thus restoring the future.

SpacerGuy said...

Good for you Sharkbytes.

I think you've telepathic abilities Home School Dad.

Its a needs of the many scenario, eh Alex?

The Armchair Squid said...

Hey, there! Glad you're doing A-Z again.

Cherie Reich said...

That's fascinating about Edith, and I love these time pondering episodes where you wonder if something in the past changes, will it change the future forever?

Grammy said...

Ha..I remember that one, too. I loved the first Star Trek series. I never could really get involved in the later series. It is interesting how so many stars got their fame beginning with these early shows!
Thanks for the reminder. Best regards to you, Ruby

M Pax said...

That was one of my favorite episodes. Makes me want to go put the dvds in and watch it again.

Krista McLaughlin said...

I've not seen that episode, but it seems like a really good one. I'll have to check it out!

Felicity Smoak said...

Time travel is a tricky business just ask Doctor Who. really enjoyed reading that. My mum is a massive Star Trek fan, every Christmas I buy her DVDs I'm going to see if she has this one.

Melissa Sugar said...

What a thought provoking question you ask at the end. Luckily I don't have to answer it because I remember that Edith dies and the future is saved. I have come across more Star Trek fans on this challenge than I ever thought possible.

Whenever I think about that episode I compare Edith to Alexis Karrington Colby from the nighttime soap, Dynasty. Collins plays an inquitous bitch. That is quite a comparison to the wonderful Edith.

I am a new follower from the challenge.

Inger said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. You Star Trek fans are seriously serious about the show, aren't you? This was interesting for me to read and I didn't know about Melvin Belli.

Featured Post

CAPTAIN PICARD TV SERIES

So analysis  has begun with Star Trek Picard's trailer... after a 17 year TNG hiatus some of trek's icons have returned. Here we ca...