Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Star Trek V The Final Frontier


Lights, Camera, Action!  C is for close call.

Some say Star Trek V directed by William Shatner nearly killed off the movie franchise, lucky for us trek survived. Granted "The Final Frontier" has continuity errors, Kirk spinning around on wires in his scraps with Sybok and 78 decks in the Enterprise-A instead of 23, which is totally illogical! Searching the universe for God wasn't the cleverest idea either. The bearded guy got very angry when Kirk tried to check out his credentials. It would appear even God has to pass a vetting test before commanding the USS Enterprise NCC 1701-A. Despite awful reviews, this movie isn't a complete flop considering it bagged $52 million bucks in 1989 clearing a $22 million profit.

The good news is William Shatner got his big moment in the Director's chair so five films in, how could it get any worse?

C is also for Connerys Crusades who you might say had a lucky escape. Uh ohh.... Apparently Sean Connery was filming Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade at the time saving him from having to play the pointy eared Sybok, Mr Spock's brother in Star Trek V.



I bet Connery got down on his bended knees and thanked his lucky stars. Wasn't it lucky he was behind the camera? You decide. Who's the antagonist in Star Trek V 'The Final Frontier.' Is it the renegade Vulcan Sybok? Or the Klingon Korrd or the God entity?

Crusade long and Prosper, Trekinators.


15 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Connery dodged a bullet there. I don't think anyone could have saved that script.

PT Dilloway said...

I don't think Star Trek V was any worse or more ridiculous than Star Trek IV when they went back to the 80s to find humpback whales to talk to an alien probe. I mean, that's a perfectly logical script right? That people love one ridiculous idea and hate the other is really illogical.

Jeremy [Retro] said...

i enjoy every trek film... for different reasons. this was more about male bonding than it's intention to hurl us across the galaxy looking for god or a god like creature. we got to hear uhura sing... some nice kitties playing water pool... and marsh-melons... so i say one thing... row, row your boat...

Tony Laplume said...

All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by.

I enjoy this one. Connery was doing all kinds of supporting role movies at the time, and would continue to do so for another decade. He did the first two Highlanders, and they've always been flops.

katie eggeman said...

This is my least favorite of the movies. I figures Shatner directed. I don't class ST1 as the worst, as it help to fulfill the loss and longing for Star Trek. I was very disappointed with the change of uniforms though...glad when they went back to the more traditional with The Wrath of Khan. I love talking Star Trek.
Katie atBankerchick Scratchings

-Warren Zoell said...

I disagree. Some of Star Trek's deepest moments and deepest lines come from Star Trek V. It's actually one of my favourites regardless of continuity problems.

Jenny said...

I saw this one a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure I laughed out loud :-)

Jenny at Choice City Native

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Awesome Star Trek blog, man. I'll be visiting often.

Susan Kane said...

This movie is so bad and so disjointed that it is hard to remember it all in one piece. Perhaps Ohura dancing naked in the desert was a saving moment, but the rest should have been thrown in the trash.

SpacerGuy said...

Warren you've got a point. Star Trek V is deep, like when Sybok mind melds with Dr McCoy and discovers his secret, hidden pain. "Sounds like witchcraft to me," retorts Bones who then quite unexpectedly gives in. Kirk refuses to yield and later on the Klingon bird of prey it was touch and go. Sybok makes his mark on the Enterprise crew.

-Warren Zoell said...

One of the best lines from Star Trek V was when Kirk said to Bones "Dammit, Bones, you're a doctor. You know that pain and guilt can't be taken away with the wave of a magic wand. They're the things we carry with us, the things that make us who we are. ...If we lose them, we lose ourselves. I don't want my pain taken away. I need my pain!".

-Warren Zoell said...

That as well Spacerguy. When Bones kills his father to release him from his pain, only to find out that a few weeks later they discover a cure that could have saved him... That was a real tear jerker.
"Why did you do it? To preserve his dignity".

Maurice Mitchell said...

Spacerguy, I always assumed it was a huge turkey. Good to know, although I still hate it.

Craig Edwards said...

I like the movie, but I remember thinking in the theater in 1989 - jeepers, Shatner has obviously directed mostly television - as he was constantly shooting everyone in close-up ala TV and its smaller screen.

MOCK! said...

I read that the desire to land "Sean Connery" was so strong, they dropped the "n" sounds and created "Sha Ka Ree" for the movie as an homage.

Featured Post

CAPTAIN PICARD TV SERIES

So analysis  has begun with Star Trek Picard's trailer... after a 17 year TNG hiatus some of trek's icons have returned. Here we ca...