The time to write about our favorite unknown for the Underrated Treasures Blogfest, MOVIE – BAND/ARTIST – TV SHOW – BOOK has arrived, so here goes!
Firefly vs Star Trek!
James Cameron understood that if you copy a work of genius like Star Trek, you'll be left with a terrible phony which won't fly. So, he set the trend in Hollywood by re-inventing instead of ripping off the old sci-fi classics.
When Joss Whedon's learned about the secret formula he produced 14 episodes for his sci-fi 'sequel' on a shoestring budget, sound familiar?
'sequel' simply took Star Trek's followers on a fresh 'spaceship' journey thrilling us with a mirror cast
based on Gene Roddenberry's original show.
The beauty of Firefly is there are no clean cut uniforms, no
energy weapons, no teleportation, no long shots of spaceships warping against a starry backdrop to classical music, no
obsession with technology, no robots, no artificial intelligences, not even a clear long-term goal for the
protagonists apart from the plot conflict between the Alliance
and the Rim, and the bitterness of committed Browncoats. Its
all close-up and raw. The characters are flawed and realistic.
2. Zoe and Inara are graceful rational, logical counterparts to Mal, as
Spock is to Kirk.
3. Wash has Sulu written all over him, gentle and humorous with a
way of articulating intense situations.
4. Kaylee is the cool-headed Scotty full of optimism and the
5. Dr Simon Tam has the same fiery relationship with Mal as Bones
has with Kirk.
6. Book has the intelligent saving graces of Dr McCoy.
7. Jayne is a fearless explorer like Chekov often breaking the ice with his cornball humor.
Firefly captured the imagination of sci-fi fans with qualities
we can all admire, it provided fresh
unpredictable characters in an alternate universe, subtracting the science without
ruining the fun or being just a shallow imitation.
There certainly are numerous original aspects to Firefly,
given River's unnatural insight bordering on the edge of madness providing a mysterious air of intrigue for the show. While Firefly and Star Trek are fashioned on the Western wagon
train to the stars, each show is full of emotional depth, adventure with a cast of reverse engineered characters. What do you think?
Which sci-fi show made a distinct impression on you?
- STAR TREK BIRTHDAYS
- BUTTONS AND AWARDS
- TREKKIE BOOKS
- MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY
- INTO DARKNESS PORTAL
- STID IMAGE GALLERY
- STAR TREK MOVIES
- TOP 50 BLOGS FOR TREKKIES
- SCOTTY'S LAWS OF PHYSICS
- STAR TREK'S 50th ANNIVERSARY
- WRITING SCIENCE FICTION
- KAIL TESCAR, WRITES RUSSELL BATES
- ABOUT ME
- TREKKIES STRIKE BACK!
- TREKKIE OR TREKKER?
- STAR TREK TECHNOBABBLE
- WHO'S YOUR SCIENCE FICTION HERO?
- STAR TREK CREATORS
- ThE BIG BIRD'S DREAM
- STAR TREK INFOGRAPHIC 2017
- STAR TREK CONVENTIONS 2017