Trekkers are beaming in from all over the universe to experience this years spectacular Comic-Con event kicking off on the 21st to 25th July. San Diego's Convention Center is inviting aficionados of Science Fiction to carry phasers set to thrill or prepare to be assimilated by mysterious lifeforms. Comic-con has some awesome line ups.
Thursday 22nd July, Room 24ABC from 11:30AM to 12:30PM. Iron Man and Rocket Men: Is Stark Industries an Appropriate Model for Private-Industry Space Exploration? Comic-Con has a line up of Leading New Space entrepreneurs, Mark Street(XCOR Aerospace) and John Hunter (Quick launch) to discuss realistic options for future space exploration which will hopefully satisfy our nerdling desires. Presented by the San Diego Space Society (SD Space), the panel also includes Chris Radcliff (SD Space) and Dave Rankin (The Mars Society - San Diego co-founder). Jeff Berkwits (former Amazing Stories editor and two-time Hugo Award nominee) is moderating.
Speaker/Artist(s): Mark Street, John Hunter, Chris Radcliff, Dave Rankin and Jeff Berkwits hyper spatial minds will fire up the fans with their cosmic flames of logic.
Room AA24 from 11:30AM to 1pm. Star Trek author Larry Nemecek of the Voyager episode "Prophecy" (#7.14) will be in attendance to sign photographs for trekkers.
Room 4 from 2:30PM to 3:30PM. A panel of Geek Report experts examine the state of science fiction from Avatar to Zardoz, fantasy, and horror in film and TV, from the living-ever-longer-and-prospering Star Trek franchise to the future of Star Wars to what the success of Avatar means for the future of movies. Some of geekdom's biggest luminaries, including Steve Melching (The Clone Wars), Ashley E. Miller (Thor, X-Men: First Class), Steve Kriozere (Elvis Van Helsing), Jeff Bond (former Geek Monthly editor), with Bill Hunt and Todd Doogan from (Digital Bits), talking about the state of sci-fi film and television, the rise, fall and rise of Star Trek, and the hits and misses of 2010 that made their cholesterol counts rise to dangerous levels this summer.
Room 32AB from Time: 3:00PM to 4:00PM. Hollywood Writer/Producer Roberto Orci (Star Trek 2, Cowboys & Aliens, Transformers, Star Trek, Alias, Mission Impossible 3) and writer/director Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Scott Pilgrim vs the World) moderate and AMC Theatres Blog Editor, John Campea(AMCTheatres.com/network/scriptscreen) will host a panel of popular movie website personalities to discuss new media influences in movie making and marketing. What
it takes to run a popular site, and much more in a panel discussion with a QandA session. masters_of_the_universe
Room 5AB from Friday 23rd of July, 1:30PM to 2:30PM. Now, Mr Quinto...Did you really glue your fingers together to perform the Vulcan Salute, when you played Spock during the filming of Star Trek 2009? Zach Quinto fessed up about his illogical torment which must have created a major embarrassment for him and Paramount. Parting can be such sweet sorrow...eh Zach?
Tim Kring (creator of Heroes) and Zachary Quinto (Heroes' Sylar, Star Trek's younger Spock) discuss Tim's new venture into book publishing with his book, Shift, the first novel in the Gate of Orpheus trilogy. Tim will be debuting the book trailer with many other multi platform elements which he has created to promote the book. Join Tim and Zach for their one-on-one interview and Q and A session.
Zachary Quinto's giving another speak later on in the day in Room 25ABC from 4:30PM to 5:30PM about Archaia: Lucid—Lucid, the first comic book project from Archaia's partnership with Before the Door is here! Lucid creator and writer Michael McMillian (True Blood) and BTD partners with Zachary Quinto (Star Trek, Heroes), Neal Dodson, and Corey Moosa share cool, behind-the-scenes info and other interesting tidbits about the making of the comic. See full event guide here and here
Live Long and Prosper, Trekkers.
- BUTTONS AND AWARDS
- STAR TREK CONVENTIONS
- TREKKIE OR TREKKER?
- STAR TREK TECHNOBABBLE
- STAR TREK CREATORS
- CHEERS CAVANAUGH BLOGFEST
- STAR TREK'S 45th ANNIVERSARY
- INTO DARKNESS PORTAL
- ThE BIG BIRD'S DREAM
- STID IMAGE GALLERY
- WHO'S YOUR SCIENCE FICTION HERO?
- SCOTTY'S LAWS OF PHYSICS
- STAR TREK PAPERBACKS
Friday, July 16, 2010
Thursday, July 15, 2010
Who is Dr Who? Dr Who is the scientific whiz that became a legendary timelord success. Lets look at the facts. We know Dr Who survived the Great Time War with the help of his telepathic Tardis and has been shooting through time and space for hundreds of years in several different bodies! Can you unlock the Tardis traveller's secret mysteries?
1. What does T.A.R.D.I.S. Stand for?
2. How old is the Tardis?
3. Name the location the Time Rotor?
4. What does the Tardis look like?
5. What does "Dimensionally Transcendental" mean?
6. How many bodies has Dr Who had?
7. What is the name of the Doctors destroyed home planet?
8. What could'nt the doctor do without the Tardis?
9. How is the T.A.R.D.I.S. sent through time, dematerialising from one place and re-energizing in another?
10. Which regeneration of the Doctor met the Sycorax?
11. What did Rose use to defeat the Daleks and destroy their emperor?
12. Who was the Greatest Leader of the Time Lords?
13. What power lies at he heart of the T.A.R.D.I.S.?
14. How are tardises constructed?
15. What did the third doctor call the Tardis?
16. What type of ship is the tardis?
17. What allows the TARDIS to change its appearance?
18. Where does the main energy source for the TARDIS come from and what is it?
19. Who Hitch-Hiked on the side of the Tardis and to where?
20. When the Tardis is in flight, what happens to the Time Rotor?
21. Who discovered the great secret of space time travel?
22. Who did the greatest Timelord work with to harness the power of a black hole into a source of unimaginable power?
23. What did the First Doctor call the Tardis?
24. What is Dr Who's favorite signature Gizmo?
25. What TimeLord technology was used to defeat the Daleks during the Great Time War?
1. Time And Relative Dimension in Space.
2. Over 900 years.
3. In the glass column on the console.
4. A blue police telephone box.
5. Its bigger on the inside than it appears on the outside.
6. Dr Who has regenerated his mind and soul into eleven different entities.
7. Doctor Who survived the destruction of his home planet Gallifrey after the Great Time War aboard his cosmic friend, T.A.R.D.I.S.
8. Doctor Who could'nt survive without the Tardis which regenerates his alien bodies. Its his best friend in time and space. Together they've roamed the universe for hundreds of years.
9. The doctor programmes the flight computer with coordinates sending the Tardis travelling to anywhere in space and time, usually through a time vortex.
10. The tenth doctor met the Sycorax. The Tardis was beamed aboard the alien's ship while the doctor was recovering from his regeneration.
11. The Time Vortex.
12. Rassilon was the greatest leader of the Time Lords.
13. At the heart of the TARDIS lies the deadly power of the Time Vortex itself.
14. Tardises are unlike other time machines. The physical components of the Tardis are a secret Timelord mystery centuries old. We do know Tardises are grown, telepathic entities and are in effect alive.
15. The third doctor called the Tardis "Old girl".
16. Doctor Who's spaceship is a Type 40 Time Travel Capsule.
17. The chameleon circuit allows the Tardis to blend into its surroundings wherever it lands, however its been broken for a long time!
18. The main energy source for the Tardis is carried through a direct link from the Artron energy in the Eye of the Harmony, an artificial black hole created by the Time Lords.
19. Captain Jack hitch-hiked and flew all the way to the end of the universe to the year one hundred trillion.
20. The Time Rotor is at the very heart of the Tardis console which lights up and moves when the Tardis is in flight.
21. Time Lord Rassilon.
22. Rassilon worked with a stellar engineer called Omega.
23. The First Doctor called the T.A.R.D.I.S. his ship.
24. Doctor Who is the proud possessor of his very own Sonic Screwdriver which he carries everywhere.
25. Tardis technology was developed to create a Genesis Ark, a time capsule which was used to imprison thousands of Daleks during the Great Time War.
Live Long and Prosper......Trekkies and Trekkers.
Monday, July 05, 2010
Galaxy Quest's movie is a clever spoof of Star Trek TOS Tv series which has Tim Allen starring as the head honcho and leading star of the starship NSEA Protector powered by a beryllium sphere for four faithful years. Then the unthinkable happens. The plug is pulled on Allens "Galaxy Quest" sci-fi show with his washed up crew mates reluctantly carrying out their duty before the ever faithful fans at sci fi conventions seventeen years later.
The galant crew of the starship NSEA Protector, Tawny Madison, Dr Lazarus, Tech Sgt Chen and Lieutenant Laredo, starring Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Tony Shalhoub and Daryl Mitchell, finally reach breaking point with their "brave" commander's "Jason Nesmith" antics whose been hogging the spotlight at their expense for ages. If you want some good entertainment I highly recommend Galaxy Quest. Its just pure good fun to watch. Tawny Madison has the weirdest job of all repeating the computer which only obeys commands given by her!
The stars consider cutting their losses and hanging up their uniforms for good except for Captain Nesmith who just isn't having any of it. Eventually Nesmith is approached by a race of aliens claiming to be "Thermians" led by "Mathesar" whose completely clueless about "Galaxy Quest's TV show." The Thermians beam Allen and his cranky fellow actors aboard their spaceship to negotiate and battle the reptilian warlord Sarris.
Guy Fleegman "Roc" Ingersol gate crashes the fans at a trekkie convention and re-lives the old times as the "redshirt" extra "No 6" with the crew of the Galaxy Quest. Roc starred in their 1982 episode and never quite got over being iced before the first commercial. His reasoning is simple! "ROC" wants his photos signed by the fans too! Redshirt Roc strikes it big when the Thermians beam him up, granting him the opportunity to take part in the real crew's space aventures aboard a "real life" version of the Galaxy Quest spaceship.
Unfortunately for Mathesar, he craves Nesmith's help and doesn't realise that earth's "Galaxy Quest" is just a cancelled TV Show. Every Sci Fi fan who's been curious about the merits of Science Fiction will get a good chuckle out of this film with the actors seriously conflicted and squabling over their real world "historical documents", the evil villain Saris and the fallout for the rest of the Galaxy. But hey, you've got to admire their unique solidarity. Never Give Up, Never Surrender, Activate the resonance scan and full speed ahead!
Live Long and Prosper, Trekkies and Trekkers.
This work by Spacerguy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial 3.0 United States License.
Based on work at startrekspace.blogspot.com.